Skip to main content
Working in EuropeWork permitSweden

Work permit


EU/EEA and Swiss citizens

You do not need a work permit or visa. As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden also without a residence permit.The right of EU citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. You have right of residence if you are employed, self-employed, a student or have sufficient means to support yourself.


Non-EU/EEA citizens

You do not need a permit to work for less than three months

The following people may work in Sweden without a permit: visiting research fellows or teachers at higher education institutions who participate in research, teaching or lecturing activities for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa. See information about visa


If you plan to work in Sweden for longer than three months, you will need a permit

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country you will need a residence permit (applies for visiting researchers) or work permit (applies for those not doing any research).

The main rule is that you should apply for and have been granted a permit before entering Sweden. When applying online you are given clear instructions about how to fill in your application and what you should send with the application. This makes it easier for you to apply correctly and increases your chances of a quick decision

More information about permits, visas and application forms can be found at

Extending your permit

Visiting researchers.

If you plan to continue working as a visiting researcher after your residence permit expires, apply to extend it. Make sure to submit your application before your current permit expires. You can obtain a permit for the period during which the agreement with the research principal is in force but not past the time for which your passport remains valid. Once you have had a residence permit to conduct research for four years, you can obtain a permanent residence permit, which remains in force as long as you live in Sweden. Keep in mind that your ability to obtain a permanent residence permit may be affected if you did not live or work in Sweden during extended periods of time while your permit was in force. Read more at Migrationsverket.

  • Since 20 July 2021, applicants must fulfil new, special requirements in order to obtain a permanent residence permit in Sweden. For example, you must be able to support yourself financially: permanent employment, or fixed-term employment lasting at least 18 months from the date on which your application is examined, see Special requi­re­ments for perma­nent resi­dence permits


Extending a work permit (for those not in the category "visiting researcher")

When you apply for an extension of your work permit, the Migration Agency checks that the conditions for a work permit have been met during the periods of validity of each of your previous work permit periods. For applications to be complete, you need to submit documents that show that salary and insurance requirements have been met for each month you have held a work permit in Sweden. Contact your employer regarding this and before you start your application for an extension. Read more at


Special requi­re­ments for perma­nent resi­dence permits

Applicants must fulfil special requirements in order to obtain a permanent residence permit in Sweden. These requirements apply to anyone who applies for a permanent residence permit, regardless of the type of residence permit you currently have. Read more at


Residence permit for doctoral studies

If you are to conduct doctoral studies in Sweden for a period of time longer than three months, you can apply for a residence permit for higher education. The permit must be issued before you travel to Sweden. Read more at