Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasSweden

Social security


Social insurance is an important part of the Swedish social security system. Swedish social insurance covers most people who live or work in Sweden. The social insurance system is administered by the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan). The purpose of the social insurance system is to provide financial security during the various stages of life. It provides financial protection for families and children – for example, for people with disabilities, illnesses, work injuries, and for old people.

To be eligible for social insurance benefits, you must, as a general rule; either formally reside in Sweden or be employed and work here. Read more at

What applies for different nationals? Please see below.


Scholarship recipients who stay in Sweden for more than 1 year, regardless of citizenship, must register themselves with the Swedish Population register and apply for a Swedish personal identity number (personnummer) at the Swedish Tax Agency. Once you are assigned this number, you are entitled to medical treatment at the same rates as Swedish residents.

Before a personal identity number is assigned to the scholarship recipient, and if the scholarship recipient is staying for less than 1-year, other types of insurance are available, depending from which country the scholarship recipient comes.

- Scholarship recipients from EU / EEA or Switzerland must have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to be covered by subsidized emergency and other types of necessary health care in Sweden.

- Scholarship recipients from outside of EU / EEA or Switzerland and staying at one of the Swedish state universities, are usually covered by the Insurance for foreign visitors (Note, check this with your host department)

Doctoral students with a scholarship count as students and are not considered to be resident in Sweden and thus not entitled to residence-based benefits.