Skip to main content
Working in EuropeRecognition of diplomasSweden

Recognition of diplomas


Recognition of higher education qualifications

The European Commission has devised a system known as ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) . It allows for the transfer of higher education credits between European countries. The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) evaluates foreign qualifications in order to provide support for people looking for work in Sweden, people who wish to continue studying, or for employers who wish to employ someone with foreign qualifications.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Europeans have the right to move freely within Europe, to reside in the various countries and to work, study or provide a service. A potential, and real, obstacle to this freedom are regulations within any one country which mean that only diplomas and other qualifications within that country are recognised. The European Commission, professional bodies and the relevant authorities are working together to overcome these obstacles. Read more on the Commission's site