Skip to main content
Leaving EuropeDeparture conditions/formalitiesSweden

Departure conditions/formalities


Leaving Sweden for research abroad

Find more information about a specific country and the rules that applies there for researchers by clicking on the globe in the top menue. There you wil find all EURAXESS Centres in Europe and EURAXESS Worldwide.

Moving within EU/EEA

As a citizen of EU you have the right to enter another Member State of the EU/EEA and Switzerland without any special formalities. You can move within EU/EEA without applying for any permit, but if you have family who are citizens of a country outside of the EU, they need to apply for a residence card.

Moving within the Nordic countries

The Nordic countries have an agreement which states that Nordic citizens have a right to live in whichever Nordic country they choose. You do not need to apply for a residence permit. You simply need to register according to certain rules. Read more at

  • Prepare you departure thoroughly and make sure you have a valid insurance for your travel and your personal belongings.
  • Contact Försäkringskassan (Social Insurance Agency) before you leave the country regarding your social security.
  • Notify the Swedish Tax Agency about your move abroad and register your new foreign address. Remember that when you move from Sweden, even if you do not have close ties to the country, you must file a Swedish tax return concerning your final fiscal year in Sweden.
  • If you will retire abroad don't forget to contact the Pension Agency.

Useful links:

  • Information from the Swedish government in Swedish only. There is also an app in Swedish from UD, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, that could be very useful for planning the stay abroad. See Resklar-app
  • Information from Försäkringskassan in Swedish or English
  • Information from Skatteverket about Moving from Sweden


Moving from Sweden

Consider the following before moving from Sweden:

  • Bank account: Close your bank account after leaving, so that there are no problems for you to receive the last salary. You may want to speak to your bank before leaving, in order to prepare how you will close your bank account once you are not in Sweden anymore.
  • Change your adress:Svensk adressändring
  • Civil status and address: If you leave Sweden in order to live abroad for at least one year, then you are to notify the Tax Office at least one week before departure. More information at
  • Pension: If you have worked and paid tax in Sweden, you have earned a Swedish pension. You are entitled to the pension even if you live in another country. If you live abroad, the way that you apply to receive a Swedish pension depends on the country.

    Read more at Pensionsmyndigheten and SPV