Living in Europe | Entry conditions/visas | Sweden

Before travelling to Sweden

Depending on your starting-point and background, there are several things you might need to arrange prior to your travel to Sweden:

  • Is your passport valid? Make sure to extend your passport if it is about to expire – you cannot obtain a work/residence permit for longer than your passport's period of validity. This also applies to your family, if they accompany you.

  • Do you need a visa, a residence permit or work permit? Note that visiting researchers from a non-EU country need a residence permit, not a work permit, if there is a hosting agreement. Read more at the Swedish Migration Agency.

  • Check your insurance. Do you need to arrange a medical insurance? Do you have insurance that covers your personal property?

  • Your spouse/cohabitant and your children can accompany you to Sweden for the duration of your stay. They may also need to get a visa or a residence permit, depending on their citizenship and length of stay. More information at Swedish Migration Agency.

  • Accommodation. Finding a place to stay will be one of the first issues to look into when you have decided to move to Sweden. Give yourself plenty of time to make all necessary arrangements before leaving your home country. Always check first with the university or company where you will do your research as some of them provide accommodation to their international researchers.

  • Plan your move. This website contains useful information and a 10-step guide from the official site of Sweden.

Upon arrival in Sweden

You should as soon as possible contact certain authorities:

  • If you move to Sweden and intend to live here for a year or more, you should normally register as a resident at the nearest office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). Once you do so, you will receive a unique 10-digit personal identification number (personnummer). You will be able to use this number to simplify a whole range of transactions in the Swedish society, such as acquiring an identity card, opening a bank account and visiting a doctor. More information at

  • Do you have a valid ID-card? Apply for one at Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency).

  • Social Insurance by Försäkringskassan (The Social Insurance Agency). You are generally insured in Sweden if you live in Sweden and have a Swedish personal number. This means that you may be entitled to various forms of compensation from Försäkringskassan. You do not need to report to or register with Försäkringskassan before you apply for compensation, but if you plan to travel abroad we advise you to apply for a European Health Insurance Card as soon as possible, since this might take a few months to receive. If you work in Sweden and have a coordination number, you should also register for Social Insurance.

    How to register?
    Fill in the form "5456 Registration information" on the website and send it to Försäkringskassan. You need to state your Swedish personal number or coordination number. You can add a personal letter explaining your situation, if you e.g. are on postdoc scholarship.