Skip to main content
Living in Europe, Working in EuropeEntry conditions/visasSweden

Entry conditions and visas


Depending on your nationality, entry conditions may apply, such as the need to have an entry visa, a residence permit or work permit. If so, your Swedish host organisation will assist you by providing necessary documents.

Citizens of Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland may live and work in Sweden without registering or obtaining a residence permit. If your stay in Sweden will be one year or more, you must generally be entered into the Swedish population register. Read more at
EU citizens have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. The right of EU citizens to stay in Sweden without a residence permit is called right of residence. You have right of residence if you are employed, self-employed, a student or have sufficient means to support yourself. If you have right of residence in Sweden you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency. When entering Sweden, you need a valid passport or ID card showing your citizenship. If your stay in Sweden will be one year or more, you must generally be entered into the Swedish population register. Read more about this under the heading of Civil registration.

Citizens of Switzerland

If you are a Swiss citizen, you may move to Sweden to work, study, start your own business or, for example, live on a pension from your country of origin. If you wish to stay for longer than three months, you will need a residence permit.

British citizens, and their family members, who have a right of residence in Sweden before 31 December 2020 have to apply to the Swedish Migration Agency for a new residence status. The application period 1 December 2020 - 31 December 2021.

British citizens moving to Sweden after 1 Jan 2021 follow the rules for non-EU citizens, see below.

Short stay

Exemp­tions from the work permit requi­re­ments applies to the following categories:

  • Researchers or teachers at higher education institutions who participate in research, teaching or lecturing activities for up to three months altogether over the period of 12 months.
  • Researchers who have a residence permit for research in another EU country and will carry out part of their research in Sweden with an approved research funding body. The exemption is valid for a maximum of 180 days during a 360-day period.

If you belong to one of the above categories, you do not need a work permit, but citizens of certain countries need a visa. Read more at the Migration Agency’s website


Longer stay – more than three months

If you plan to stay in Sweden for longer than three months you will need a residence permit for researchers, work permit (applies for those not doing any research) or residence permit for studies (applies to those admitted to doctoral education). You must apply for the permit from your native country or other country outside Sweden where you are living. If you apply online, using the Migration Agency website, you will get a decision sooner, providing that the Migration Agency does not need to request further information.

Find more information and on-line application forms at the Swedish Migration Agency’s website:

Resident permit for researchers

Work permit for non-researchers

Residence permit for doctoral studies, PhD students