Mobility and Research Outside Sweden

Leaving Europe | Research funding opportunities | Sweden

Opportunities within Europe


As a researcher you have free access to a Europe wide customised assistance service offered by The EURAXESS Services Network. Some 200 centres in 40 countries assist you and your family in all matters relating to your professional and daily life, including information on legal issues, social security, health and taxes, everyday life as well as family support.

Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions (MSCA)

As of January 2014, with the move to Horizon 2020, the Marie Curie Actions are now called the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions (MSCA). This change better reflects the Polish roots of this extraordinary scientist who inspired and inspires the programme. Awarding €6.16 billion in the period to 2020, the MSCA support research training and career development focused on innovation skills. The programme funds worldwide and cross-sector mobility that implements excellent research in any field (a "bottom-up" approach). All open calls in Horizon 2020 will be published on the European Commission web site Participant Portal.

Forte – Swedish Research Council for Health, Working Life and Welfare

See webpage and funding for open and future calls for proposals,

The Swedish Research Council

All grants are regularly announced on the web site: The web site provides instructions for applying as well as forms, contacts and the Research Council’s general terms and conditions.

Our grants:

Grant explicitly promoting mobility

International Postdoc

The purpose of the grant, twice a year, is to promote international mobility for those with a recent doctoral degree from a Swedish HEI or EUI. Young researchers will get the opportunity to work at a foreign university or research institute or at a Swedish university, university college or research institute. Researchers with a doctoral degree no older than two years are eligible (taken into account time away for parental leave, illness, service within the National Defence, medical internship, commission of trust with union or student organization).

Grants promoting international co-operation

Bilateral agreements

The Swedish Research Council has bilateral agreements on research collaboration with several countries. The agreements usually concern collaboration at the researcher level through joint research projects and workshops, access to research infrastructures or researcher exchange. Information about joint calls are announced on the web site .

There are currently bilateral agreements with:









Relevant links

PromoDoc If you’re interested in studying for your PhD in Europe

EURODOC The European Council of doctoral candidates and young researchers

EURES Information, advice and recruitment/placement

ESF European Science Foundation

Europass Opening doors to learning and working in Europe

NARIC network The network aims at improving academic recognition of diplomas and periods of study

Citizens Signpost Service Help and advice on your life, work and travel in the EU.Multilingual legal experts provide a personalised reply

Opportunities outside Europe

There are plenty of opportunities outside the EU as well. Find out more about research outside the EU, including links to researcher’s mobility portals in Australia, Asia, Canada, Chile, Japan and South Africa.