Driving licence

Living in Europe | Access to the culture of the host country/language courses | Sweden

A driving licence that was issued in an EEA country is valid throughout your stay. If you are a permanent resident in Sweden, you can even apply to exchange your licence for an equivalent Swedish driving licence.

A driving licence that was issued in non-EEA countries (excluding Switzerland and Japan) is valid for a maximum of one year in Sweden.

A non-EEA driving licence cannot be exchanged for a Swedish equivalent. If you want to continue driving in Sweden you will have to complete the risk education, and theory and practical examinations.

Licences issued in Japan and Switzerland can be exchanged into a Swedish equivalent as long as it is done within one year.

For more information on driving in Sweden and exchanging your foreign licence, please see www.korkortsportalen.se.