Civil registration

Working in Europe | Taxation/salaries | Sweden

If you move to Sweden and intend to live here for a year or more, you should normally register as a resident at the nearest office of the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). Once you do so, you will receive a unique 10-digit personal identification number (personnummer). You will be able to use this number to simplify a whole range of transactions in the Swedish society, such as acquiring an identity card, opening a bank account and visiting a doctor. You can find more information in both Swedish and English at

How do I register?

In order to be registered in the Swedish Population Register (folkbokförd) you need to notify the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) that you have moved to Sweden. This can be done by visiting one of the service offices (servicekontor).

Prepare for your visit

To ensure that your visit to the service office goes as quickly and as smoothly as possible, you should use the Move to Sweden service before the visit. This applies both to you and to any children you may have. Use this service to submit your personal data and answer questions on your planned stay in Sweden. Read more at


Watch films about Moving to Sweden, Civil registration and Personal Identification number


Webinars from the Tax Agency

The Swedish Tax Agency now offers online seminars designed for you who are planning to move to Sweden to study or work at a Swedish university. See link and choose English