Residence permit

Residence permit

EU or EEA citizens

As an EU citizen you have the right to work, study or live in Sweden without a residence permit. You also have the right to start and operate a private business. If you meet the requirements for right of residence, you automatically have right of residence in Sweden and do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Board.

When entering Sweden, you need a valid passport or ID card showing your citizenship.

You can move to Sweden without applying for any permit, but if you have family who are citizens of a country outside of the EU, they need to apply for a residence card. In order for your family to be granted residence cards you must be able to demonstrate that you meet the requirements for right of residence in Sweden through work, studies or with sufficient means.

As an EU citizen you have the right to start working or studying directly after arriving in Sweden.

To register yourself in the Swedish population register, you contact the Swedish Tax Agency

Nordic country citizens

Citizens of Denmark, Finland, Norway and Iceland may live in Sweden without registering or obtaining a residence permit. Registering with the Swedish Tax Agency is good enough.

Third country

You do not need a permit to work for less than three months. However, citizens of certain countries need a visa, see visa external link, opens in new window.

If you plan to work in Sweden for longer than three months you will instead need a residence permit (applies for visiting researchers) or work permit (applies for those not doing any research). You must apply for the permit from your native country or other country outside Sweden where you are living. Those who receive a residence permit will be given a residence permit card. The card is proof of your residence permit. When you enter Sweden, you must therefore show your card along with a valid passport.

If you apply using the Migration Board website, you will get a decision sooner, providing that the Migration Board does not need to request further information.

More information about permits, visas and application forms can be found at

Swedish embassies and consulates abroad

Before coming to Sweden you could contact the Swedish representation in your home country.

Foreign embassies in Sweden

In some cases your home country's embassy or consulate in Sweden might help you out on certain issues regarding your stay in Sweden.

Page last updated: 11.11.2015

Sweden's Innovation Agency